About the Journal
Focus and Scope
The Journal of Contemplative Inquiry (online ISSN 2333-7281) is an online, peer-reviewed, scholarly journal for all who design, research, teach, and assess contemplative and introspective methods and practices in college and university settings.
JOCI promotes the understanding, development, and application of these methods in order to serve a vision of higher education as an opportunity for cultivating personal and social awareness and an exploration of meaning, purpose and values. The development of a critical first-person perspective allows students to examine their own experience in relationship to the material they study, transforming their understanding of how their learning can affect their actions in the world.
In this way, contemplative inquiry is, at its root, about transforming relationships; not just the relationship of a student to the material being studied but, more broadly, our understanding of the interpersonal, intrapersonal, and systemic influences and forces that shape our individual lives and our society.
We invite authors from any discipline, department, or office in academe to submit original, unpublished writing on any aspect of contemplative practices and perspectives in higher education. We are interested in articles concerning all aspects of integration of higher education and contemplative inquiry, including the design, research, teaching, and/or assessment of contemplative and introspective methods and practices in college and university settings. Articles should be suitable for a broad, interdisciplinary audience.
Peer Review Process
JOCI operates a blind peer-review process during which the identities of the author and the reviewers are concealed.
- Vol. 1, No. 1: 2014. Published.
- Vol. 2, No. 1: 2015. Published.
- Vol. 3, No. 1: 2016. Published. “Contemplative Practices Across the Disciplines.”
- Vol. 4, No. 1: 2017. Published. “Building Just Community.”
- Vol. 5, No. 1: 2018. Published.
- Vol. 6, No. 1: 2019. Published.
- Vol. 7, No. 1: 2020. Published.
- Vol. 8, No. 1: 2021. Accepting submissions through May 1, 2021.
- Vol. 8, No. 2: 2021 (projected). "Transcendent Wisdom and Transformative Action: Reflections from Black Contemplatives" [Special Edition] The submission period has now closed. Thank you to all who responded!
The Journal of Contemplative Inquiry was founded in 2013 as an initiative of the Center for Contemplative Mind in Society. Since the mid-1990s, the Center has coordinated efforts to explore the integration of contemplative practices and perspectives in the academy. We seek to foster an interdisciplinary forum for exploring rigorous reflection and introspection throughout all of higher education.